Thursday, November 9, 2023

Do YOU Have What It Takes To Make It In The Universal Wrestling Federation?

I don’t like to discuss “grails.” I really don’t even like to have them. You have what you have and whatever is meant to find its way to you ultimately will. If you do have collecting grails, don’t broadcast them. People can and will see dollar signs. Never put yourself in that position. Lastly, be happy with what you’ve got. I see too many people who I deem “accumulators” rather than collectors. Accumulators just sort of suck things in, look at them once, brag to deaf ears, and then cast them aside. There’s no appreciation. I’m not saying that you need to have a museum in your home, Lord knows I don’t, but if there’s something in your collection that you don’t ever think about, do you really need it? Food for thought. That being said, if there’s something that I’ve been after for a period of time that, in a way, could be considered a grail for me, it’s part of what we’re looking at right here.

Looking back as we see it now it’s hard to think that Bill Watts’ UWF would have had a training center. It’s even harder to believe that he would’ve had a full color, well-designed piece of promotional material produced for it. He did. I first found out about this brochure of sorts about two or three years ago. Someone offered one at auction for a very low price. I was the only bidder. A few days later the seller told me that he had lost the item. I was never sold on that claim. To this day I think that someone else made him an offer that he couldn’t refuse. The ultimate low. Regardless, I kept my eyes open. Not only was I able to get one for around three bucks more, but this one seems to be complete with four additional items. Normally I’d say that the brochure is the centerpiece, but I’m a sucker for official envelopes from wrestling promotions.

Emblazoned on that large envelope is the familiar Universal Wrestling Federation logo. Post mark? May 1987. Someone, presumably the wrestling hopeful who was the original recipient of this package, wrote addresses for the World Wrestling Federation and Joe Pedicino’s Pro Wrestling This Week television show right on the front. He definitely had his bases covered. Speaking of covered, I blocked out the name in photos but I can assure you that the original addressee is no one that we’re familiar with. Per the envelope The UWF Training Center was based in Dallas, Texas. Materials inside indicate that Ken Mantell was the trainer. Aside from print ads which were advertising sending away for this particular kit, there isn’t any info out there about the training center besides what you will see here.

The brochure itself is the size of a wrestling program and is really well produced. The cover, which opens in the center, is full of photos and “quotes” from UWF talent such as Dr. Death Steve Williams, Missy Hyatt, Michael P.S. Hayes, Skandor Akbar, Iceman King Parsons and, my favorite, the lovely Sunshine. Next to Missy there’s even a youngster who I think, 36 years later, is just about to wrap up his career. Some fella with a painted face named Sting. Inside we get an overview of what the UWF Training Center can offer you. Yes, you, the next possible star wrestler, manager, valet, referee or announcer. The “Manager of the Future” photo with the cut out face (leaving room for YOU!) is definitely Bruce Prichard. The thing doesn’t really break kayfabe, but it’s still surprising to see such material come from a Bill Watts endeavor.

$2500.00 (not including room and board) were your total training expenses. Were you up for that challenge? Did you have what it took to make it in the UWF? Well, before this information kit was even postmarked the company had already been sold to Jim Crockett Promotions. I wonder if anything surrounding this training center even got off of the ground? Perhaps it became something else? Three additional bulletins that were included indicate that a new UWF television program was in the works, to debut in June, which would highlight all the young hopefuls of the training center. While I’m sure such a show wouldn’t have broken kayfabe in the style of Tough Enough, it’s intriguing to think just what it may have looked like.

What made this so appealing to me? Promotional items from wrestling have always been intriguing. Despite it being 1987, the wrestling world was still very “wild west” as far as ideas and what made it and what didn’t. Even WWF promotional items from that time are largely uncatalogued outside of what you see in this blog. Unlike other sports which were very organized by that point, wrestling was basically a band of untethered idea men. Types of people who have a lot concepts and grandiose notions floating around in their heads, but ultimately only the ones that “hit big” are remembered. Obviously, this is not one of those. Long before the WCW Power Plant, the WWE Performance Center and even Ohio Valley Wrestling, there was about to be the UWF Training Center. I guess if we can be thankful for anything it’s that it wasn’t Herb Abrams’ UWF trying to train folks.

“Herbie cookie break at 3! Bring your spoon.”

No comments: