Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Hulkster Returns To Mattel...By Way Of Eternia

I had several favorite action figure lines as a child. G.I. Joe, Star Wars, and Masters of the Universe. The latter, like many children, I referred to simply as "He-Man." I had quite a collection, but a little over a decade ago, in the interests of space and my wrestling collection, I sold the classic characters off to collectors who could give them the attention that they deserved. Because of this, I wasn't sure that I wanted to dive in when Mattel announced a figure line combining MOTU and WWE. While it's something a lot of us dreamed of decades ago, I didn't want it to make me regret my decision of years earlier. Combined with the fact that the line is a Wal Mart exclusive, a store that I rarely get to these days, my decision not to collect was cemented.

On a rare trip to the retailer this past summer, I found the "Masters of the WWE Universe" version of "Macho Man" Randy Savage. I was sold. And while I haven't really been able to collect much of the line since, when pre-orders for the "Rattlesnake Mountain Ring" became available I had to pull the trigger. No, I don't have much interest in "The Rattlesnake" himself. Between the overload of Stone Cold Steve Austin figures already and my general lack of nostalgia for the Attitude Era, I really didn't feel the need for another in this form. But for what ended up being Hulk Hogan's return to the Mattel line in this most unique situation? Sold.

There was already a ring in the line based on Castle Grayskull. This one greatly resembles Snake Mountain, the menacing purple lair of Skeletor. I received the original Snake Mountain playset for my birthday in 1987. I can't say that I had the same excitement here, but a few of the elements are a great throwback to that legendary toy. The snakes on the ring posts represent the large snake that swung from the top of Snake Mountain. The "ring steps" here are reminiscent of the treacherous bridge that connected the two sides. The purple rock base of the ring looks like the general foundation. For whatever reason the ringposts on mine don't "snap" into the base. I don't want to push them further and risk snapping them in permanently. I am wondering if this was done on purpose seeing as how hard this thing would be to store with the snakes always jutting out.

The ring comes needing assembly and this is where two issues arose. The first is that the turnpost snakes are not removable. They should be. The inability to remove them limits play value. As the ropes come tied tightly around one of the posts, you initially have to stretch one all the way around one of the snakes. As these are the plastic/vinyl ropes used in the War Games playset, there's a great feel that this rope will break as it's stretched over the snake. Can you imagine the rope breaking right out of the box? I don't normally apply mat stickers, but seeing as that this is a complete fantasy ring, I did it. It should also be noted that there is no "spring bounce" to the mat like most Mattel "basic" rings.

My true reason for buying this was, of course, Hulk Hogan. Seeing as that the first hints of the "Ultimate Edition" Hollywood Hogan figure shipping were just beginning to hit as of press time, this is indeed the first Mattel-produced Hulk Hogan figure to be released in five years. With many of these Masters of the WWE Universe figures, the fantasy gear and weapons can be removed to reveal an almost Remco AWA-like wrestling figure underneath. This is 100% true for Hogan. It's a nice looking version of The Hulkster. Stone Cold is a good basic version of The Rattlesnake also, though there is a "scaly" design on his tights that obviously wasn't ever there.

The figures are fun with their accessories on, as well. Austin's "snakes" that attach to his arms have moving jaws and remind of the classic MOTU character Rattlor. Hogan has attire that isn't far off from his wresting gear. His ax reminds me of He-Man's from all those years ago. His helmet may be the closest that we ever get to a figure of The Hulkster wearing his infamous "War Bonnet" briefly used in 1988. Why couldn't a fist have been added to the front to complete the look? The equipment is all easily removable for anyone who just wants the figures as wrestlers.

While the first Masters of the WWE Universe ring came with characters who were also released on their own, there's no evidence so far that this will happen here. Perhaps a "Hollywood" version of Hogan seeing as that a black and white Randy Savage is being done. I could honestly see many of the rings showing up for sale when collectors buy the set solely for the figures. I, myself, wish it were a more customizable design. The ring can be used with the regular Mattel WWE line. In the age of "cinematic" matches, is it a stretch that some of the more hellacious wrestlers could brawl here? Perhaps a "Snake Pit" match overseen by a rather demonic figure himself, Jake "The Snake" Roberts? Lots of ideas.

All in all, my goal here was to get a figure representing a blend of He-Man and Hulk Hogan that we all knew would be fantastic. The inconvenience of collecting the line doesn't guarantee that I'll purchase any more,but how amazing is it that "The Mega Powers" can explode in Eternia now, too?

No comments: