Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Legendary Terry Funk

Any good journalist writes these things far in advance. It’s an old tradition/SOP for news obituaries. Whatever it says about my journalistic skills and/or integrity, I just don’t do it. I don’t even feel the need to rush tributes out, though I’m hardly a news site. Pretty much everything on this blog is a reflection and that’s certainly what we do when someone passes. We all knew that we’d be doing quite a bit of reflecting upon the passing of Terry Funk and, while we all knew that it was inevitable, we still were not fully prepared.

Terry Funk was real. While there may have been a few additions for the crazy world of wrestling like the classic “you egg suckin’ dog!” or unleashing that legendary branding iron, everything else about the man was just genuine. He was that Texas cowboy from the Double Cross Ranch. He did come from a family that lived and breathed the pro wrestling business. He didn’t have to put on a front to get you to believe. All he had to do was raise the voice of the real Terry Funk and you already got your money’s worth.

Being the genuine article probably greatly helped make the legend. No matter where he went he was a star. He knew how to adapt or reinvent himself but it never felt strange or out of place. You knew it was Terry Funk no matter which “version” you got and, again, you knew you were getting your money’s worth. NWA Champion? Texas bronco? Middle-aged and crazy? It was all the same guy with very few tweaks yet he starred in multiple eras.

If you listen to the stories of his contemporaries, Terry rarely wanted to be in the center of the spotlight. As long as he was entertaining the fans, and possibly helping someone else out in the process, he was a contented man. He didn’t need to be the winner of the match in a business where ultimately that doesn’t matter. He saw the bigger picture. He didn’t take any of it too seriously and still became one of the greatest of all-time, many say the greatest. Does it get any more amazing than that?

I’ve never heard a single soul say a bad thing about Terry Funk. Closer to my realm, I’ve never heard a single fan talk about a bad interaction with the man. In fact, I don’t think I know a fan who had met him who doesn’t have a great story to go along with it. He never seemed to meet a stranger. He was always willing to sign each and every autograph. He knew that, as amazing as he was in the ring and on the mic, keeping the fans happy is what ultimately keeps the gears of the business moving. No one did it better.

I’m fairly sure that my first glimpse of Terry came on the back of the LJN Wrestling Superstars figure card. While at a VERY young age I may have seen him on a Saturday Night’s Main Event, I remember that wild-looking cowboy figure shown on the packaging and knew that he was one I wanted. Little did I know that some of my best wrestling memories, both on television and in person, would come from that man. In what turned out to be the final time that I got to see him I had brought a ticket from his first retirement in Japan. After he signed it, in that unmistakable Terry Funk voice he said to me, “I really did plan on retiring. You know why I didn’t? I ran out of money!”

I miss him already.

Terry Funk

1944-2023

No comments: