Thursday, November 2, 2023

World Getting You Down? Escape To A Different One…

Ah, finally we’ve hit November! My favorite time of the year is upon us. I’ve never been a big Halloween guy. It’s ok, but get me to the week of Thanksgiving until Christmas Day and just put me in a never ending cycle of that thirty-odd-day span. Take a few days out for birthday depression (getting old…) and it would be utopia. “These are a few of my favorite things,” as it were. You know what else is one of my favorite things? Figure photography. It truly brings me happiness and I know that I’m not the only one. While I love wrestling memorabilia collecting as a whole, I think that there’s just something special about the art (oh yes, it’s art) of creating and/or recreating the moments we either loved or would like to have happened.

As I said a number of years ago on this blog, action figure photography is the adult way of playing with your toys. Best of all, you’re creating something that you can share. While there are a few ways to share that content, Instagram certainly seems to be the chosen method. I have a certain love for the Instagram account The_Figure_Arena (I wonder why…) and I’m thankful for everyone who has followed. That being said, I’d love to see a platform solely for figure/toy photography of all genres. There are certainly enough fans out there who partake. Instagram started out as a great thing, but now they can delete you at the drop of a hat. Meanwhile, teenagers being disgusting get a pass, but that’s the way of the world. Get off my lawn.

I think the real key is getting the most out of it with very little. What do I photograph with? My iPhone. Lighting? I was using battery operated desk lamps that cost around $5. While I still have one of those, there’s a great three pack of quarter-sized LED switch lights on everyone’s favorite A-Z online retailer that also costs around $5. How about that fog? A humidifier. It’s really smoke and mirrors at its finest, just like how the best movie special effects are done. Admittedly, the backgrounds that I use are costly. They’re nice, but overpriced. I just like the simplicity of not having to create my own. They’re easy enough to find in a search. I won’t plug the company as they’ve never been receptive to me in any form of social media. I guess my photography isn’t good enough for them. Hey, I like it!

I don’t need to tell you where to get the figures. Photograph whichever ones you want! If you’re reading this you probably already have a ton. While the modern day Mattel figures of the world may make the most realistic photos, the classic Hasbro line or any of the “Retro” sets that have been spawned since can be just as charming and appealing to look at. Honestly, one of the best pieces that can be used for figure photography is still the Mattel WWE New Generation entrance. I dare you to even try and take a “bad” pic with that thing in the mix. Sure, it’s not useful when trying to capture other eras, but I’ve seen people do real well by stretching it a bit. I’d never say no to seeing Dusty dance out under the neon!

To be perfectly honest it doesn’t take any real photography talent, either. I took a photography course or two in college, but I really don’t remember anything from it. I’ve gotten better by trial and error. “This lighting looks better for this era.” “What would it have looked like had these two had a match back in ’87?” “I could put this shirt on this figure and it makes it fit in with these figures.” I’m sure that I’m not the only one who hears these lines in their head. A sharp eye, an odd angle or two and twenty outtakes that will never see the light of day. After all that, you’ll have your shot. The best part? Thanks to digital those outtakes don’t cost you a cent anymore.

It’s a fun and cost-effective hobby. Nearly everyone has a smartphone. Some cheap lights as I’d said above. You can grab a basic ring for about $20. And as we all know, most modern figures go on clearance. This world is way too miserable and serious for us to take ourselves too seriously. My response? Let’s play with some toys. Speaking of playing with toys, I’m going to get preachy for a moment but it’s all in the name of goodwill at this time of year. If you have an Ollie’s nearby, why not grab some of the TONS of action figures that they’ve gotten in and make up a bag for Toys For Tots? It won’t break your bank and there are literally dozens of figures at most of their locations from which to choose from. It absolutely warms my heart to think of a child, not expecting a thing, getting a figure of Rey Mysterio or Grogu. It’s a small gesture that fits right in with the topic at hand. Grab yourself a new fig, grab three for the Tots.

Let’s get the Holiday mood going early here with fun and giving. The world needs it.

No comments: