Thursday, March 9, 2023

Coliseum Collection Vol. 2!

Timing is everything! As if you don’t already know by now (thanks to following me), we’re mere weeks away from celebrating thirty-five years of WrestleMania IV! Today we’re looking at two wrestlers who battled in the first round of that legendary tournament due to their two newest figures being fresh from the Mattel factories. That being said, as much as I love any show there’s always a match or two that I don’t care for. We can all agree that while Ravishing Rick Rude versus Jake “The Snake” Roberts certainly evolved into one of the more memorable feuds of 1988, it isn’t one of the highpoints of WrestleMania IV. In fact, it wasn’t even originally intended to become a feud following the event! Just who was “The Snake” scheduled to feud with into the summer? Stay tuned for a “flashback” or even a “greatest hit” following the latest from the Coliseum Collection.

It feels like I just reviewed Hulk Hogan and Terry Funk from the first Coliseum Collection release. At the time, Roberts and Rude had been announced as the second installment in the series and I was less than enthused. The Jake felt like a near redo from a Mattel Legends release of not long ago and, while I understand the LJN-esque style choices, there were so many other Rude tights designs that I would rather have had. That being said, as time grew closer to order I became more and more excited for this one. Again, timing is everything and I think it hit me right where it needed to. Right in the WrestleMania IV “feels,” as the kids would say. The price point for what debuted as such a quality product really isn’t arguable, either. When you look at more detailed figure releases in this day and age, the price that these Coliseum Collection releases currently sit at isn’t bad at all. And I’m cheap!

We once again get the dynamic and rather impressive packaging here as we did with the first Coliseum Collection set. The figures are posed as close as can be to the LJN Wrestling Superstars releases with all of the non-LJN accessories packaged in a box below the figure. Longtime readers will know that I love this. Nothing aimlessly floating around. It should be noted that the SDCC Sgt. Slaughter figure, which was released before the Coliseum Collection and wasn’t named as such but was included on the first CC cardback, is no longer shown. Perhaps they’re only going to display the latest releases? If this series goes long enough it would certainly be impressive for them to do a cardback with a few dozen figures like the well-remembered later LJN cardbacks. And if they don’t, I’m sure someone will whip one together for an impressive Instagram pic, at the very least.

I admit when I’m wrong and Mattel did in fact prove just that. I really like the Jake figure. Granted, I feel like the Legends version of this figure is somewhat of a waste now, but this “Ultimate” version improves upon it immensely. The Jake body type is great. I wasn’t sure how well it would translate into “Ultimate Edition” style, but it definitely works. Damien will be the highlight for most as I don’t think we’ve ever received a better version of Jake’s famous companion. It’s bendable, like the original LJN version (remember when Jimmy Hart called it a green bean on the Coliseum Video Hart Foundation release?), but the detail is just amazing. It looks as if it could slither away. The highlights for me are definitely the heads. The cocked eyebrow and you-know-what-eating grin heads are out of this world. The tights are, of course, designed to match the LJN but regardless they’re generic enough to really fill any Jake needs up until ’91 or so.

You knew I’d love Rude. We all love Rude. And I don’t think Rude’s had a bad modern figure. It’s deserving seeing as his LJN and Hasbro figures, while beloved and collectible, were not ideal to play with by any stretch of the imagination. This Rude is right up there. While there are so many different versions that I still want to be produced (short-haired WCW era, “traffic sign” tights), this is another great addition to your Rude shelf. Who doesn’t have a Rude shelf? I’d prefer that the robe had been in a color such as blue that wasn’t already released, but another red won’t hurt. Again, the heads here are what make the figure. And oh yes. The kissy face. This figure is ready for a Rude Awakening. Thanks to the “Ultimate Edition” shoulder joints, Rude can dance as much as he wants…until Jake slaps on the DDT. This one also works well for pre-WWF Rude representation.

Any complaints are few. Rude's robe feels a bit thinner than the original release of the red robe, though I didn't have a chance to compare. The lettering on the back also seems a bit light. The heads weren't as easy as some have been to change out. While I had no problem removing them, at times they felt as if they were a bit high off the peg when putting a new one on. I still don't feel the need for each and every figure to have the "butterfly" shoulder articulation as it's called, but it is pretty handy here. Rude can "dance" as mentioned above and it absolutely lends itself to poses with Jake and Damien.

I must say, like most of you, I’m becoming a big fan of the Coliseum Collection. Any time that a company can make me want figures that I don’t have much desire for…well…you know they must be good. Another thing that I like is that they aren’t selling out immediately. Mattel Creations is making them available to all and to me that’s what collecting should be all about. Who’s up next? Fast predictions? Macho Man/Liz? Heenan/Albano? (Captain Lou is heavily rumored to be joining the Mattel lineup) Andre/Piper? I’d love to throw out something like Hercules/Billy Jack or Adonis/Hillbilly, but I try to stick to the parameters of what we’re aware is available to them. In fact, the person that Jake was originally slated to feud with post-Mania IV is within Mattel’s boundaries again, but seeing as that we’re getting a “Greatest Hits” release of him, I’m not sure how soon he’ll be entering the Coliseum Collection. Then again, Mattel, he is a favorite LJN of mine and I’d buy any Harley Race you threw at me…

No comments: