Thursday, December 10, 2020

"I Have Returned!"--Paul Ellering

Thirty-five years is a long time. I barely remember that many years ago. Although I remember a few things, I can't say that I remember the Remco AWA figure line that far back. If I did I'd remember the debut of "Precious" Paul Ellering as an action figure. Despite stints in the top wrestling promotions of the world, it's taken that amount of time for the legendary manager to see another figure. But two heads are better than one. Taking that into consideration, in a way we now have three individual looks of Mr. Ellering immortalized in plastic. Enter the latest Mattel WWE Build-A-Figure series.

Each year Mattel introduces several series of figures under the WrestleMania banner. There are usually Elites, Basics, and some multipacks. The packaging of these figures usually features the upcoming WrestleMania logo. Probably due to the uncertainty of the theming and just exactly how WrestleMania will go down in 2021, for the Mania-branded figures this year we get a variation on the classic logo of yesteryear. Similar to last year, the Elite offerings include a new "Build-A-Figure" designed to get you to "Collect 'em All." Who is it? You guessed it. Paul Ellering. But instead of just classic Road Warriors-era Ellering, we also get his more modern look which was originally slated to be released in the now-defunct NXT line. Works for me!

The four wrestlers needed this year to build the fifth figure are Goldberg, Edge, Shawn Michaels and Chyna in what is only her second Mattel appearance. Each figure includes a different piece to build Ellering, and Chyna also includes the "dummy" mascot of the Legion of Doom, the infamous Rocco. Unlike last year where an unnecessary set of extra hands came with one of the figures, for Ellering you will need to pick up all four figures to complete the Wall Street Journal-reading manager.

The packaging is in the same shape as other recent Elite releases, but the color scheme makes it a lot more appealing to me, as does the logo. The Ellering parts are well hidden in most cases, but you can still see them if you look close enough. I don't see them being an issue for carded collectors or those looking to get three of the four (only, sadly) signed. That "authentic" logo that's beginning to plague the regular Elite releases isn't here and the hologram is on the back. The "True FX" logo has made its way back down onto the bubble. Couldn't it have stayed away?

The lineup is a bit surprising. Seeing as that Chyna has only had an online release in a two-pack, I'm rather surprised to see her debut in a line like this. It's a pleasant surprise, though, as this is the Chyna release that I personally wanted. Edge is a unique look that to my knowledge hasn't been done before. Shawn Michaels has been partially made in this look, but I don't recall the entrance gear being available before. Goldberg is Goldberg and we'll get to that in a bit. What ties the four together is that these are all looks that the star was seen in at a past WrestleMania. This isn't Ellering's WrestleMania VIII look, but he's the bonus.

Speaking of Ellering, let's tackle him first. The prototype showed the figure with an open coat. The latest word is that there will be a running change and that the original look will be available. It's sort of hard to see the torso in the packaging, so who knows how easy this will be to find if it comes to pass. I'm fine with the closed jacket. The heads here are amazing, though the modern one is mind blowing and in the category of "scary good" along with the Survivor Series Jeff Hardy figure from a few years ago. I had no issue getting the parts to stick, though a friend of mine had an issue with one arm as I did with JJ Dillon and Mean Gene. Rocco in toy form is an absolute kick. If you aren't over the hate by now, it's long beyond time for you to be. He easily ranks among my favorite Mattel accessories right alongside Mine and the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal trophy. Sunglasses and a rolled newspaper would've been nice, but those can be replicated. Rocco is unique.

I have the least to say about Shawn Michaels and Chyna. The Heartbreak Kid is usually a character that I only get in sets like this, for example his Commissioner Build-A-Figure and his release with The Heartbreak Hotel set. His figures from this era never miss as far as looks. Mattel gets all the little nuances and details down pat. Even as someone who isn't his biggest fan, I do appreciate the figures. Chyna is just as I would've imagined. It burns me to say that this version is better than Jakks (which I'm proud to have personally autographed), but it's been nearly two decades since the latter release. Times change as do figure making techniques. 

Goldberg is a disappointment. I do believe that it was said that "Oldberg" (simply an easy way to describe the era of the figure, nothing more) wouldn't be done as an Elite again after his inclusion with the Raw ring, though no one could've predicted that he would have come back for yet another run or two. I happened to pick up that ring in a spectacular deal on Amazon awhile back, so I can provide a comparison. While the body is relatively the same, the scans literally look like two different people. The winner? The Raw ring figure by a mile. But if you passed on the ring, here you go. The blue WWE Universal championship which is included will be a draw.

My sleeper favorite here is none other than Edge. The wrestler himself has actually been mentioned very few times here on the blog, as he was never one of my favorites. I've enjoyed smatterings of him here and there, but I've definitely never been an "Edgehead." I've seen some criticisms of this figure, but it honestly blows me away. I think if Edge had worn this attire all of the time he may have been higher on my list. It makes him look like a tough guy. The beige bat (finally!) accessory greatly helps. It's also fun that this figure is a "sequel" of sorts to last years Build-A-Figure set, as the Mick Foley from that series was Edge's opponent in the match reflected with this figure.

Highest marks for this set across the board. While a few of the figures wouldn't have been my top choices, we have a look that I wanted (Chyna), a look that I wasn't aware I wanted until it was in my hand (Edge), and a Build-A-Figure of a character (and accessory) that I never imagined would see the light of day. The series should be hitting stores in early 2021, but you can order them in time for holiday gift-giving, even already at sale pricing if you're lucky.

Alright Mattel, let's get the rights to Hawk and Animal back and we're in business. What a rush!

No comments: